Dangers of Roundup Weedkiller for Pets



dangers of roundup weep killer for pets

roundup is a trademarked herbicide

designed to kill weeds invasive grasses

and some tough shrubs manufactured by

Monsanto Company roundups active

ingredient is glyphosate and herbicide

that kills most plants and is toxic to

people in animals pets may ingest

roundup by eating treated foliage or

licking their paws or grooming after

walking across a rolling on a treated

long before the chemical has dried

roundup is sold and ready to use and

concentrated formulations that must be

mixed with water before sprayed onto

plants according to the manufacturer

pets may enter an area where roundup was

sprayed after the product has dried the

manufacturer does not specify how long

it takes the product to drive it says

roundup is rainproof 30 minutes after

being sprayed and that some roundup

products are rain proof after 10 minutes

glyphosate poisoning symptoms

symptoms of glyphosate exposure in peds

include drooling vomiting and diarrhea

animals may also seem lethargic or

overly excited and may lose weight

and/or become weak symptoms may appear

from 30 minutes to 2 hours after


if your pet exhibits symptoms of

poisoning contact your veterinarian

immediately and also contact a poison

control center have a roundup products

label with you while you are on the

phone so you can provide clear

information about the product your pet

may have ingested tip the American

Association of poison control centers

offers free confidential medical advice

through the poison help line number

1-800 to 2 to 1 2 to 2 which is operates

24 hours per day 7 days per week pet

safety to keep your pet safe remove them

in all their toys bones beds food and

food containers from the area where you

want to spray roundup keep cuts away

from the area for at least 30 minutes

after spraying roundup also keep pets

their belongings and food away from

where you store and prepare roundup do

not spray on windy days and take care to

spray only directly on the plants you

wish to kill follow the manufacturer s

directions on the label carefully when

mixing and applying roundup or any other

chemical do not let roundup drift into

water where you have pet fish or into

natural bodies of water and waterways

wear gloves when handling and using

roundup and wash your hands thoroughly

before touching your skin food or other

items store roundup and other chemicals

where pets cannot access them

tip an alternative to using roundup is

to control weeds by pulling them out of

the ground another option is to plant

grasses that complete successfully with

undesired plants